[PD] laptop for pd/gem

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:44:10 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM, pierre <pierre at 314r.net> wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm in the way to buy a laptop theses days and would know if someone could
> give me a good advice,
> I need to install a debian (or ubuntu) system on it.
> I'll use the laptop for audio/video liveshows with pd/gem, with many GEM
> objects so a good graphic card is needed
> I have a max ~900euros  budget.
>
> Short story :
> Some years ago a bought an asus a8js with 7700Go nvidia graphic card,
> very good performances and linux friendly, worked perfectly with all
> debian/ubuntu distros I've used and I've done a lot of lives and works with
> it...
> BUT !
> This card have burned and damaged all my motherboard ! This is due to a
> very bad graphic nvidia (proprietary) driver, explanations here :
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551
>
> Now a lots of laptop are shipped with ATI cards, so my questions are :
> - are ATI cards goods for pd/gem users ?

ATI cards are less good for Linux users :o/ as support is sparse and
sometimes (especially a few years after buying the computer) you may have
problems finding a driver. I think a motherboard-burning driver is an
exceptional problem which should not repeat anytime soon, so I'd go with
Nvidia.

Andras