[PD] howto get "pool"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 27 17:20:59 CEST 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Is there any way to make that linkage more local on Linux ?
> Is the only possibility, to declare the "::new" operators as static inline or
> so, in the *.h files ? (I think I did that for a while in GF, but I removed
> those completely several years ago because I wasn't really using them
> anymore)

Actually, the options for that are in the loading of the .so files, which
is in Pd's s_loader.c, and that uses the RTLD_GLOBAL option in the
dlopen() command, and that is required so that GEM<->PDP, GF<->GEM and
GF<->PDP connectors work (as they are implemented now).

And the platform-dependency of that, is explaining the weird hacks we had
to do (Patrice Colet and I), to make GF<->GEM work properly on Windows,
because the Windows code probably doesn't use an equivalent of
RTLD_GLOBAL, and/or something to do with __declspec(dllexport) and
__declspec(dllimport)... does anyone compile third-party GEM externals in
a way not linked to Gem.DLL ? Because that would be an example for how to
improve that aspect of GF...