[PD] MIDI question: 2 novation launchpads at the same time on PD

pierlu pierlu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:49:39 CEST 2010

Hi all.

I would like to connect 2 Novation Launchpads to my computer (OS X 10.4) to
make a 128 out of two 64.

The problem is: Launchpad sends midi info on channel 1 and there's no way a
user can change that (at least there's no info on that in the programmer's
reference manual). So, the two launchpads would be indistinguishable.

Does anyone know how to workaround the problem? I know that in Max there's
the [midiin] object that permits the user to select which midi device to
listen to. Is there anything similar in PD (even tho a quick look at the
Floss Midi Object list seems to suggest that there's none) (btw, i got the
[midiin] hint by the creator of the monopad, which is a software useful to
connect more than one launchpad in Max
http://teamaxe.co.uk/code/monopad/index.php)

Creating an aggregate device of the two launchpads in CoreMidi could do the
trick?

I would try that myself but i own only one launchpad and I'm scared of
buying another and then discover there's no way to distinguish between them.

Thanks for any help,

pierlu.