[PD] [OT] Using a webcam to measure a wheel's rotation speed

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:02:50 CEST 2010

On 09/02/2010 06:06 PM, Ted Hayes wrote:
> I would think that the accuracy of such an approach would be *severely* limited by the framerate of the webcam.

You're right. I was already willing to assume that the maximum expected
RPM would be lower than the camera's fps, but you're making me realise
that limit would be much lower than that.

> Why can't you use a hall effect or reed switch or photointerrupter and arduino?

I can. I just had the crazy idea that the camera approach MAY be easier,
or a little bit more difficult but cheaper.
It's been a long time since I last touched an electronic circuit :)

Also, I'm helping a friend of mine with an installation, and she's at
some hundreds km from here, so I need something that I can try here and
she can then replicate there.

So my idea was to simplify the hardware at the cost of complicating the
software a little bit.
However I'm afraid the trade-off is not reasonable enough :)

Thanks
m.