[PD] FTM for PD

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Sep 6 12:12:29 CEST 2010

Hi Norbert,

> Yes, I think the latest state of the development of FTM for Pd was already
> pretty close (since the last adaptations to Max 5 we probably took back a
> little distance).
> But no, we have currently no plans to develop this further.
>
> In fact, I didn't have the impression, that Pd "needs" FTM very much, since
> there are other approaches for handing "complex" data structures.

Well, the basic built-in possibilities may be there but they haven't
been developed into a convenient higher-level system. The VASP modular
system that i have been developing for a while is similar to FTM but i
don't have the time to maintain it any more and i would rather port
the higher-level portions to FTM. I think that Pd needs FTM as much as
Max needs it and i would appreciate patcher-level cross-platform
compatibility a lot.

> For what concerns the Gabor and MnM libraries, that have certainly some
> interesting functionalities that would be worth having in Pd, I also could
> imagine alternative ways to integrated them into Pd (as well as into
> Max/MSP/Jitter) relying on the data structures that are already existing in
> these environments.

Certainly, but do you plan to open-source them?

>> For me, only the underlying FTMlib and the ftm.object and ftm.mess objects
>> are really required.
>
> Can you develop more on this point?

It means that at this point i personally don't need mnm or gbr
externals. The basic FTM functionality is sufficient - i would
probably make a Python binding and use numpy/scipy for higher level
stuff.

gr~~~