[PD] gem / msd conflict

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 9 15:32:01 CEST 2010

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, cyrille henry wrote:

> I made a fresh compilation of msd2D. everything works ok, except when
> destroying a link in msd2D, and only if Gem is loaded, i've got a pd
> crash with : *** glibc detected *** pd: free(): invalid pointer:
> 0x085d0f9c ***

It's not necessarily the fault of either msd or Gem, and if it is, then it
can be hard to figure out which one it is. Use a debugger such as
valgrind, because it can trap bugs earlier in the chain reaction, quite
often at the first buffer-overflow or dangling-pointer bug, rather than at
the end of a chain reaction that causes glibc to bail out (or causes linux
to say signal 11). With valgrind you have more of a chance of being able
to produce a bug report that leads to a fix quickly.