[PD] prime numbers

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sun Sep 12 07:28:54 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 12/09/10 04:33, ydegoyon at gmail.com wrote:
>> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>>> 1 is not a prime number. (9 is not a prime number either)
>
> i just read '1 is not a prime number' of course 9 is not,
> ut a prime number can only be divided by 1 and itself,
> so why 1 can't be?

1 is special and unique, it has only 1 factor (itself).  I'd guess that
0 has an infinite number of factors, but I'm not sure on this.  In any
case it's probably special too.

Mathematicians almost all agree that 1 should not be classified as
prime, because it does not have exactly 2 distinct factors.  The main
reason is that if you leave out the number 1 from the set of prime
numbers, you can prove nice uniqueness theorems about prime factorization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_arithmetic

The name shows just how important that property is considered to be.
The uniqueness of prime factorization can be used to show some quite
impressive things, see for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goedel_numbering

used to prove that "you can't prove everything" (or something along
those lines, I've not studied this maths in enough depth).

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org