[PD] Guitar distortion (Chebyshev?)

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:04:23 CEST 2010

Ok, well, i didn't expect that many replies!
I have tried Martin's patch, it sounds great. I have also tried the help
patch with chebyshev polynomials, which sounds amazingly close to the old
Roger Mayer Octavia (the one Jimi Hendrix used, as on Band of Gypsys). I
mean, I was really surprised to hear how close the two sounds are. So that's
a very cool thing for me to know!

Now please, could someone tell me how this works? Like this tan distortion,
this table that switches from 0 to 1 with a variably soft transition, what
is this supposed to model, and what does it do to the raw waveform? I'd like
to try the sigmoid function but i don't really understand the way the whole
thing works.
Also, i'm assuming the size of the table matters. Miller's Chebyshev table
in the help patch is 129 points wide, i guess the sound would improve if i
made it larger, wouldn't it?

This is all very exciting for me right now! I always thought distortion
could not be properly modelised, but the stuff i've tried today sounds
pretty good to me.

Thanks!

Pierre