[PD] PD extended, Linux 64 & 32 bits

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Mon Sep 13 20:19:59 CEST 2010

Ubuntu can use xfce (Xubuntu by default or *apt*-*get install xfce4, **anyway
its always up to you :)*
**Personally, I have Ubuntu Studio 64 bits with pd-extended, but due to
isues with some 64b stuff (firewire drivers and video tracking software) I
tend to use Ubuntu 32b. I have kde, xfce and gnome on all, but I normally
use gnome or rarely xfce when in need of extra CPU.

p.s.: my 32b Ubuntu is patched with rt-kernel. Studio has that by default if
I'm not mistaken. Both are 9.10, I'm not very keen at having
the latest version for the same reason stated above.

For pd builds: http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/ (there's builds
for Lynx)

p.s.2: Renoise works very well on both systems :) Awesome application if you
like old skool trackers.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM, jm jones <juanmjv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, usually I install the 64 bits version of, but the last time, I
> dont remember why : ) (maybe to avoid any problems) I installed the 32
> bits version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Is a repo of pd-extended for 10.04
> available?
> And about the 32 vs 64 bits, what are your choices?  And what about
> distros? Pure:dyne seems more lightweight with his xfce desktop,
> however I have a good processor (core 2 duo intel e7200) and 2gb of
> ram, planning an update to 6gb, so I dont know if xfce is a must for
> me.
> Im a "veteran" gnu/linux user, but the last years I was using OS X and
> W7 for music making. In Linux I want to use pd, Renoise (its available
> as 64 bits too), and wine for some vsts.
>
> --
> JM Jones

Pedro Lopes (ongoing MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt