[PD] PD extended, Linux 64 & 32 bits

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:31:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:59 PM, jm jones <juanmjv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, usually I install the 64 bits version of, but the last time, I
> dont remember why : ) (maybe to avoid any problems) I installed the 32
> bits version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Is a repo of pd-extended for 10.04
> available?
> And about the 32 vs 64 bits, what are your choices?  And what about
> distros? Pure:dyne seems more lightweight with his xfce desktop,
> however I have a good processor (core 2 duo intel e7200) and 2gb of
> ram, planning an update to 6gb, so I dont know if xfce is a must for
> me.
> Im a "veteran" gnu/linux user, but the last years I was using OS X and
> W7 for music making. In Linux I want to use pd, Renoise (its available
> as 64 bits too), and wine for some vsts.

Hi There,

I'm sort of a veteran too (started on IBM AIX in 1992, used Red Hat for a
long time, then went back to Windows 98, later XP, which i gave up finally a
few years ago).
I'm using vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit with Gnome (and 2GB of memory), and my
impression is that it's not the WM that makes things slow, but in the case
of Pd, it's Pd itself. Read the archives on GUI<->core communication and
Tcl/Tk weirdnesses. The 64-bit version of Pd is quite tidy now, well
actually there was a time when it seemed to me a bit slower than the 32-bit
version, but AFAIK there's no reason for that any more (?)
With a decent CPU and that huge amount of RAM you (will) have, it really
cannot be a question of WM whatsoever. Of course, the system has to be tuned
for realtime, undisturbed audio usage, which may include getting rid of
eye-candy functions, but i never experienced a problem with those. After
all, they use openGL, don't they?
The same stands for pure:dyne; at the core it's a linux kernel, and what you
install on (or remove from) the top, it's up to you.
The only thing i'm missing here on 64-bit is the RT kernel. Once i find a
nice quick way, i'll grab it, but i'm not really into home-brewing my
kernel. :)

Andras