[PD] Hi, new user. Question about max/msp and PD

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Tue Sep 14 11:56:47 CEST 2010

  Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

[cut]

> [...]
[cut]
>>> It's also that it's more marketable if they add rather
>>> trivial features just so that they can say «Max 5 has more
>>> features about time scale !». It's easier than to explain
>>> to them that Max doesn't need those features.
[cut]
>> Also, it's more marketable if Max has an object like [textedit] where
>> the user can type multi-line text into a box.  It's easier than
>> picking through the Toxy graveyard and learning that you can't send
>> messages to the widget unless its containing canvas is visible, then
>> trying to work with [entry] and having the data you typed in the
>> box disappear because you minimized the window.  Then realizing that the
>> whole reason you're looking for an object that corresponds to [textedit]
>> is because you can't resize message boxes (and they don't appear on a gop canvas).
>>
>> -Jonathan
> You could try tkwidgets/text.  I really should finish that library.  Its
> close to done, and it'll probably a suite of nice GUI objects, including
> something like textedit.
>
> .hc
Thinking about guish issues, which always come up in the max vs pd
discussions... I lately thought quite a bit about this from reading the
discussions on here, experimenting with some 'gui' made in GEM etc. and
seeing stuff made with max5...

Actually... I'm more and more thinking that maybe the best approach for
"full-fledged" guis for Pd patches is an 'external' approach a la
GrIPD... maybe using some standard widget set and maybe facilitating the
netsend/receive process. Also exploring newer GUIs, like web-based (AJAX
and similar) might be interesting for certain applications?

GrIPD is already a remarkable tool, but imho we should probably explore
further a paradigm of Pd as an 'audio engine'? (maybe something
remarkable is already out there and I may not be aware of it :)

All these are still open questions: personally I love the pd 'look and
feel', but I do see an issue for certain applications and domains and
when comparing to, say, max etc.

Discussion welcome :)

Bests,
Lorenzo