[PD] cord "id"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 14 12:10:23 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-14 11:57, João Pais wrote:
>> a cord has no explicit id.
>> however, you can identify it if you know the id of the objects it
>> connects.
>
> doesn't a cord has an explicit id in the pd file, like "#X connect 102 0
> 79 0;"? in fact, it would be nice to display these numbers (or the

where do you see a connection id here?
i only see a command that tells Pd to connect outlet #0 of object #102
(here we have the id of an object(sic!)) to the inlet #0 of object #79
(here we have the id of another object(sic again))

> coordenates of objects) when someone is trying to do dynamic patching,
> for example.

i'm not sure i understand what you mean.
do you want Pd to guess when someone is trying to do dynamic patching?
Pd has no concept of "dynamic patching", but since the ordinary patch
creation mechanics (e.g. when reading a file) uses Pd's send/receive
system, you can do dynamic patching as a side effect.
the heuristics to differentiate between ordinary ("non-dynamic")
workflow and what you as the user are doing as "dynamic patching" might
be non-trivial.

furthermore, if you need to know the object-id's or positions (btw, what
would you need that for?), then you probably have already left the
realms of "pure" dynamic patching, where you have full control on what
is going on anyhow (e.g. you already know the position and id of each
object, because you created them).

if you still need them, i suggest having a look at iemguts.

>> anyhow, if you want to change the data flow for messages(!), you should
>> be able to do anything you want with [spigot] and friends, with less
>> impact on the performance of Pd.
>
> exactly, maybe you don't need a cord. you can also use [route tag1 tag2
> ...] with tags for the different states.

or use [send], [receive] and friends.

fg,adr
IOhannes