[PD] Hi, new user. Question about max/msp and PD

Husk 00 husk00 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 16:01:15 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Bernardo Barros
<bernardobarros2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> If someone contribute to a really cool, pretty and
> performance-friendly GUI side for PureData, Max would become pretty
> much irrelevant now.
>
> The problem is what can be considered cool?
Is Max 5's gui cool?  maybe for someone and for someone else not.
In a open community is really hard to decide but quite more rich the
process. Because it is not plane but it consider
cultural/historical/tecnological differences.
When I start  my fist workshops with PD in 2006 it was a mess work with
different platfoms and OS versions (out of pd-vanila and Gem mostly); or
just install pd external in some case (do you remember how was tricky
install pdp, for example, in a mac in 2006?).
Today for me is very easy during the workshops. And that because the process
that this community is doing. Now I see many different developper branch: I
guess the direction is have a pdlib fully working and take out all the GUI
code from the pdcore.
In this way we will not have to decide and impose to others one gui, one
language, one way to work with pd but many different approaches will born
(I'm imaging different GUIs with different language - qt, html5, gtk)
So, all this boring word to say is just a process, and if you want to push
it on some direction is up to you (general you and not to Bernardo :)

my two cents
husk