[PD] Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 16 15:58:26 CEST 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:22 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 18:57 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> When people use Pd-extended 0.42.5, they expect that certain
>> libraries
>> will be there, and they will be a certain version.  For example
>> Pd-extended 0.42.5 includes Gem 0.92.3.  So you can say "my patch
>> works
>> with Pd-extended 0.42.5" and it'll work with any installation of
>> Pd-extended 0.42.5.
>
> I totally got that. And I never meant to put that in question.
>
>> If Pd-extended 0.42.5 also looks at /usr/lib/pd, then someone could
>> install Gem 0.93 there and Pd-extended would use it.  Let's say Gem
>> 0.93
>> introduces an obscure bug which breaks your patch.  Then someone
>> who has
>> installed Pd-extended 0.42.5 can no longer be sure that the patch
>> will
>> always work with Pd-extended 0.42.5.
>
> That's why I proposed to put the path /usr/lib/pd/extra last in the
> order. So Pd-extended would still load it's own Gem and not the
> manually
> installed one. It's really *_only_* about making it easier to load
> libraries that are *_not_yet_* part of Pd-extended while at the same
> time not interfere with the libraries that are already part of
> Pd-extended. I hope I could make myself clear now.

Its not clear what the result would be with that, and I want to get
this release out.  Anyone is still free to add /usr/lib/pd/extra to
their path, so its not a big deal.

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick