[PD] Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!

George Ker geokeratz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 20:57:03 CEST 2010

Hi, I' m not a PD advanced user but here is my story:
I think the dilemma is "Do we need more users for PD (and make it work
perfectly in Windows too) or we need to aim the PD development for Linux/
Mac users (and don't waste our "limited resources")?"

*Well , I have seen on youtube etc people using windows and they are experts
of PureData* but how many are they really?
One of the reasons I chose to run GNU-Linux on my previous setup (besides
the xp partition) are things you can have in it. And yes, PD was one of my
major reasons! I unfortunately had then to buy a Mac because of the support
of audio applications generally.

Ok , most of people using a computer have Windows on their setup and in
countries like Greece ... you have to even use it in your university.
BUT: Do really people care about programs like PD or the ideology/democratic
openess behind GNU-Linux when they use windows? Most of us had the first
choice for our system of windows and we MOVED when we saw what we can and we
cannot do in it.

So, my opinion is to just be more consentrated on Mac/GNU-Linux support.
There are not too many people who will really have the interest to learn Pd
in depth and then browsing with IE7 their Facebook accounts.

I honestly don't want to make Pd/Win users feel stupid.

Cheers!

Ps> Let's define Pd:
*"Pure Data*  is a visual programming language (...)  for the creation of
interactive computer music and multimedia works..." STOP!!! Isn't that
"elitistic" enough?