[PD] "I'm on unix, I'm much better than windows users!" (was Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!)

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sat Sep 18 17:35:14 CEST 2010

>Just to give a taste, but the main development focus should be on a free
operating system.
Leave that decision to each developer. He develops for whatever he wants, do
not forget - in the free software world - developers are pretty much in
charge (still are). Of course that a lot of commercial open softwares exist,
I'm talking about softwares in a smaller picture.

>BTW I think the use of free software on Windows can be only *moderately*
encouraged.
Same as above, you like Unix, develop for Unix. You use Win, you like Win or
like people to use your stuff in Win... develop for Win.

I'm working on a pd external for DTW (pretty much finished and already
working), I'll not build it for Window... but do not mind if everyone that
can build it, build and let windows users to use it :)

I know that your point (what you advocate) is bringing open source closer to
FULL open source solutions, an thus not limit in the operating system. I
understand what you mean, but just feel that its not the way to win
anything, furthermore I do not make this a battle between anything.

ps.:: Overall I like the idea that anyone can do whatever he wants. If you
love Win (I know devs who do) I like to see their open software for the
aforementioned system, its fun to see.

--
Pedro Lopes (ongoing MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt