[PD] Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Sep 18 21:34:16 CEST 2010

Pd-extended is the GUI and pdextended is Pd itself.  pd/pdextended
will use 15% of the CPU because it polls the audio when idle.  So its
kind of like "reserving" 15% of the CPU for its use.  You can make it
"reserve" basically all the CPU if you use the -nosleep option.

If you want to reduce the CPU usage, you can use Jack, then it usually
goes down to 2-3%.  The Jack I/O uses callbacks so it doesn't have the
sleep, as far as I understand it.

.hc

On Sep 18, 2010, at 1:31 PM, jurgen wrote:

> I'm having strange readings from the Activity Monitor OS X.6.4 on a
> core2duo macbook pro.
>
> There are 2 apps opened
>
> pd-extended
> and
> pdextended
>
> where the latter consumes 15% of CPU without a patch opened.
>
> I just attach a screenshot. I guess that's not supposed to be so.
> What can I do to close the 2nd app? The CPU load is high enough to
> make the cooling fans go on.
>
> Best
> Jurgen
>
> <activity monitor.png>
>

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Ok, with a couple of minor changes from rc6, the release is up!
>> Now I just to sort out the details and write up the announcement.
>>
>> http://puredata.info/downloads
>>
>> .hc

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.