[PD] "I'm on unix, I'm much better than windows users!" (was Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!)

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 19 09:06:50 CEST 2010

> Well, let me be more clear. The last thing I wanted to be is offensive.

it didn't came out as offensive, just ideologic. you don't have to worry
to be polite.

>  >you advocate to stop maintaining Pd for windows
>
> No I don't. I said clearly: "So, my opinion is to just be more
> consentrated
> on Mac/GNU-Linux support." . Because, I think more people participating
> in
> Pd are in a different OS from windows.

hmm, doesn't "being more concentrated in mac/gnu-linux" means "stop
releasing code for windows"? you weren't suggesting something radical like
delete windows builds of the servers, but you were sugesting to stop
releasing code for a specific os.

>  >By the way, I don't use IE7, I use Opera for 10 years now (which I
> configured to acess my accounts >and mails from both windows and ubuntu).
>
> I see you more... agreeing with me for how people should treat the Win OS
> (and MacOS of course) than you think.

not really. just because I'm on windows doesn't mean I'm an imperialist
sob. I use as much free software or shareware as I can (as long as it
works). but I never went to someone and said "the guys that use the system
X don't really appreciate your ideology, stop wasting your time with them".

> Is this "let the battle begin" kind of paragraph?

I'm not interested in battles, only debates or dialog.

> I allready told that I UNFORTUNATELY moved to Mac because of it's support
> for audio producing and left the "strictly GNU-linux user" side of me.
> Everyone has his reasons using the OS he has installed, eventually.

exactly. this isn't about the systems, it's about the ideology. if in one
paragraph you say "BUT: Do really people care about programs like PD or
the ideology/democratic openess behind GNU-Linux when they use windows?",
and then in the other you say you yourself don't make the sacrifices to
keep to the same ideology you're judging others on, what authority do you
have in the first place to be making judgments?

> Then you should add me. Nothing against Facebook using, I'm against
> Farmville-like invitations.
>  http://tinyurl.com/2v8fhps

fortunately they can block that as well as mafia games. they're annoying.