[PD] [netsend 1] (UDP) disconnects if nobody listens

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:28:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a [netsend 1] (which is UDP) and I connect it to 127.0.0.1:5555
to send UDP packets to the localhost, port 5555.

If there's an application listening to that port everything's fine.

However, if nobody is listening, the [netsend] object consistently
disconnects (or at least detects disconnection) as soon as I send the
second message.

With UDP, it shouldn't be necessary that the recipient is listening.
Indeed, there is no "connection" whatsoever, packets should just be lost
or received.

I've also tried with the machine's ip instead of loopback with the same
result.

I had been doing this on Windows for years and it used to work. Why is
it that it doesn't work on linux?

I don't know if it is because in windows I usually used broadcast
addresses, which I cannot use in Linux because they don't work in Pd.
However it shouldn't make any difference: even with a specific address,
the receiver doesn't need to be listening in order to send it UDP
packets, does it??

Is there any trick I can do in order to have [netsend] keep sending
packets regardless of the receiver listening or not?

Thanks
m.