[PD] sssad in pd-extended?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 21 20:49:29 CEST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:19 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> From what I rememeber, it was excluded because it was non-
>> functional the way it was included.  There is a bug that prevents
>> the libdir packaging working when the folder has the same name as
>> the abstraction in it, i.e. sssad/sssad.pd.  T
>> This works with binary externals.
>>
>> As for alternate ways of including things besides libdirs, there
>> are lots of kludges currently in Pd-extended.  I've been spending a
>> lot of my time maintaining them.  I'm working on reducing
>> maintenance time so I can actually spend time coding new things.
>> So far, only a couple people have a track record of actually
>> maintaining code in Pd-extended without me needing to get involved
>> (Martin Peach, Matju, Roman, IOhannes, I'm probably missing someone).
>>
>> So I think the way forward is to make it easy for people to
>> distribute their own libraries on their own, and make them really
>> easy to install and use.  Pd-extended 0.42.5 and Pd-vanilla 0.43
>> have big improvements in that regard, so people should try that
>> path first (i.e. package as libdir, make the libdir usable when
>> dropped into the standard user install paths in the FAQ, etc.)
>
> Ok, so the emphasis will be on less included libs within pd-ext in
> the future and more on the lib framework making externals easy to
> install? I think we mainly need a sort of "externals" portal on the
> website where everyone registers libs so its a one-stop shop for
> picking your object poison. This makes more sense then an every
> growing blob within pd-extended.

If someone truly wants to take on maintaining more libs in Pd-
extended, that is ok by me.  I really don't want people to add stuff
to Pd-extended then disappear leaving me to deal with it, that's
mostly what's happened.

As for a place for libs, IOhannes set this up a while ago, I've
started adding things to it, I think it works well as a place for
people to release their libs, GUI plugins, etc.  I think we should
switch puredata.info/downloads to this page once we get things all
figured out.

http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams