[PD] "I'm on unix, I'm much better than windows users!" (was Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 21:07:19 CEST 2010

--- On Tue, 9/21/10, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] "I'm on unix, I'm much better than windows users!" (was Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!)
> To: "João Pais" <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Cc: "pd-list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 4:05 PM
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, João Pais
> wrote:
>
> > (and the most "coherent" is that they always rebel
> against windows, but not against mac, which in these days is
> more commercial and bigbrothery than windows ever was -
> acording to some comments from friends that use mac)
>
> Microsoft has got 90% of the computer market by the balls.
> They don't really need any other tricks than that (such as
> DRM or whatever). For Apple or any company, it's a lot
> easier to expand themselves in a place where Microsoft isn't
> already. I think that you understand that Microsoft got its
> 90% not just by selling quality software, and that you
> understand why so many shops absolutely refuse to sell a
> computer without Windows even though there's a market for
> it. Isn't this the most damaging thing going on every day in
> the industry ?

Maybe, but to get around that problem you just do what Yves was
talking about and help someone switch to a free os.  Regarding
music specifically, however, Apple's actions are more worrisome
to me.

Apple is involved deeply in getting computer files to behave
less like "pure data" and more like old media formats.  Actually
it's worse than that, because with an audio cassette player you
could record as many copies of an album as you could afford.  You
can't even make your own personal copy with Apple's aac files
from Itunes (and if you do it's illegal in the U.S.).

Unlike Microsoft users, who usually have a healthy dose of
animosity toward the os, Apple users love their software.  To me,
this is one of the biggest problems in the industry because it
means that people aren't asking really obvious questions in
response to DRM.  (For example: why is fair use _shrinking_ when
technology is making the cost of copying/distributing music next
to nothing?  Instead, it should be expanding, right?) If in 10
years sharing my music files with you isn't as easy as touching
you on the shoulder, you'll mainly have Apple and the RIAA to thank.

Another obvious question: if I'm buying an entire album of music files in a restricted format that locks me into using Itunes and
makes it nearly impossible (AFAICT) to transfer over my music
library to GNU/Linux, shouldn't I be paying _substantially_ less for those files than if I bought the album on CD?

-Jonathan