[PD] "I'm on unix, I'm much better than windows users!" (was Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 6 released!)

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 00:12:04 CEST 2010

Great points Ricardo. You give the thread new wings! :)

This tension is in every course I teach or work with.
It is almost a dispair of modern education. Vocational
pressures demand the students learn shrinkwrapped tools.
The tools themselves hide the problem domain. And thus
the abstracted knowledge cannot be taught.
The "one problem - one product" philosophy leads to a
shallow disposable experience, which cheats students
of real education.

However, they pay high course fees and expect employable
skills. Companies demanding skills expect "shrinkwrapped"
knowledge and use proprietary products, feeding the cycle.
But then they constantly decry shallow, unthinking graduates,
prefering more creatively vigorous candidates whose 'poorer',
old-fashioned education actually taught them to make more
from fewer resources. This early industrial revolution
mentality, gives people just enough knowledge to operate the
machines that will enslave them.

However, if so called new economies are built on grander
values, and if phrases like "information ecomony" or "knowledge
economy" have any substance, then the question is, if
knowledge has value, how do you create new knowledge,
and thus new value in the world?

By teaching both fundamental/ axiomatic principles,
and abstract reasoning/ problem solving. This causes
'critical thought', rather than mere activity.
Many students seem to enjoy my classes because
I will not teach with proprietary workflows. They know
any fool can read a manual, or show some slides on
Protools shortcuts. This is not what you need a teacher
for. Go home and learn this trivia in your spare time.

Further, I think there are carefully maintained
misunderstandings about some proprietary tools. They
are marketed and aggressively promoted to educational
establishments as "Professional". This word is so overused
as to ring hollow. They are crafted more for a _domestic_
market of aspirants. Real "professionals" at the high-end
of many disciplines use obscure, expensive or experimental
tools themselves, with mass-market gear there as a reference
point or exchange mechanism.

Advantages of Free software in education are:

It exposes alternative (and often user definable) views
of the task model. Many task models in popular Mac
and Windows software (and some Free equivalents that slavishly
copy them) ain't that great anyway, from a cognitive/HCI
standpoint. They just happened to be the first to build a base,
or adhere to an established design pattern. Many are
arbitrary when you think about it.

The task model should be challenged anyway. That is the
creative prerogative.

Integrating diverse views allows one to clearly see the
underlying concept.

This all presupposes you care about the quality of
the outcome and the humanity of the producer. I'm not
sure those vaules can be taken for granted any longer.

Way, way OT. I apologise.

a.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>