[PD] jMax Phoenix

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 22 00:36:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Maurizio De Cecco wrote:

> Given the fact that jMax slept a few years, it cannot compete with
> puredata in terms of available libraries, patches, and in general
> maturity of the solution.

No, it wasn't in this order : first it already couldn't compete with
PureData, AND THEN jMax 4 appeared, which finished killing it, as the API
was all different and no-one bothered porting externals to it (well, I
tried, and I had to give up because some features had been removed from
jMax). By the time the project was called dead, everybody had already
switched to Pd or was in the process of doing so.

> 6) The language: jMax support the use of expressions in object
> definition, like in | int ( 10 + $foo) | so that objects in abstractions
> can be parametrised with respect to the arguments.

I gave up jMax because this feature was introduced. This is because it
removed the possibility to pass an arithmetic operator as an argument. It
was a showstopper for me.

> the 0.6 beta release; it does not mention the Max OS X version, that was
> not ready at the time.

You too write "Max OS X" instead of "Mac OS X" ? Is this a virus you
caught from Miller ? ;)