[PD] comment connection

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 03:43:59 CEST 2010

--- On Wed, 9/22/10, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] comment connection
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Ed Kelly" <morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk>, "PD List" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 1:49 AM
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > Please define what you would consider an incentive (as
> opposed to what you call a detail).  I bet I'll be able
> to come up with at least five.
>
> Well, first come with at least five things you'd like to do
> with comments modifiable like the messageboxes are, and
> we'll talk about that.

Five Things I'd do with Modifiable Comments:

1. Print the current Pd and Tcl version in a patch.  If I use
pddp/print then it's not cuttable/pastable, if I use msg box
it makes it look like clicking it does something, and if I use
[entry] it will be buggy, because [entry] is buggy.

2. Dynamic multi-line text in a gop subpatch.

3. Interactive comments that follow user action for a tutorial.
You can currently do this with dynamic patching but eventually
you run out of space or have to do a GOP canvas and keep clearing
it.  (Again you could use a msg box but the border and visible
xlets are distracting.)

4. Not have to rely on [cnv] labels-- which look different on
different platforms like with [output~]-- for dynamic GUI labels.
(Comments look different too, but not by such a large margin.)

5. Dynamic ascii art without the distraction of the msg box
border.

There's also the separate matter of having the choice of font
size/style, which can make a patch more readable.  (I use
cyclone/comment for the terms in the Pd glossary for that reason.)

-Jonathan