[PD] jMax Phoenix

Maurizio De Cecco jmax at dececco.name
Wed Sep 22 18:28:18 CEST 2010

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Maurizio De Cecco wrote:
>
>> For the record, jMax Phoenix support the jMax 2.x API, not the 4; the
>> APIs are extended wrt 2.x, but in a backward compatible way.
>
>Ah, that's good. What motivated you to go back to the 2.x API ?

Well, the biggest motivation for working of jMax was my personal pleasure;
essentially, jMax was one of most interesting software project i worked in.
So, i simply forked from the day (more or less) i left Ircam, and started
where i left over; essentially, from *my* code base :->, and that was jMax 2.x.

For the rest about jMax 4; i really know nothing about it; it is true that
in the jMax history the development team was not really bright in listening
the needs of the users, but its seems that they got really crazy :->.

By the way, jMax expressions are *compile* time expression (actually,
load time expression), not objects like expr (that exists in jMax, coming
straight from the ISPW). It is just a way to parametrise an abstraction/patch wrt
its arguments.

>> The point is not to be competitive with pd, is more matter to see things
>> going on, and produce new ideas and system that may have their role and
>> use.
>
>If it can't compete with Pd, then it can't be very relevant.
>
>jMax has its upsides, but people will use Pd anyway, because Pd has more
>upsides.

Pd is not the end of history for the MAX language, there is still a lot that can be done at the core level. jMax Phoenix is a kind of research project; for now, i am trying to make it
usable; later, to provide strong reasons for using it, at least in some specific field or projects.

Maurizio