[PD] jMax Phoenix

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 11:10:48 CEST 2010

--- On Thu, 9/23/10, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Yes, Max/MSP's [if] object has a more readable
> syntax.  Yet even
>
> i don't know max's [if], but i guess you could basically
> implement this
> with an abstraction.
>
> > with the two nested "ifs" I find it easier to read
> than your
> > implementation because I don't have to look up to the
> inlet to
> > remind myself which list elements correspond to which
> variable.
> >

> yes, but i believe this is because you are very used to
> C-like
> languages, so you assume that expr's if looks like: "if
> <condition>,
> <then>, <else>".
> you have been trained on that, probably since high school
> (and
> eventually used it before) [*]. if you had been fed on
> perl, you might
> find other things more easily to read.
>

> > I could put comments closer to each object chain, but
> then that's
> > even more objects.
>
> so?
>
> we all know that source-lines-of-code has nothing to do
> with raedability
> nor complexity.
> more objects doesn't mean that the code is better OR worse
> to read.
>
> (though of course it might be preferrable that the code
> makes it clear
> what is going on without having to resort to comments).
>
> >> and as a matter of fact, i don't think the
> >> pd-implementation of the
> >> algorithm is so bad.
> >
> > Yes, IMO the way you implemented it is nice because
> there are
> > very few wires crossing over objects.
>
> i think the main problems come from people trying to
> implement C-like
> control flow in a dataflow language like Pd.
> even my implementation was only trying to reproduce the
> algorithm you
> wrote down, rather than trying to figure a Pd-way to
> implement pong.
>
> you can make _very_ elegant super-readable control flow
> with the use of
> [route] and friends.
>

> > I'd also mention I find it more difficult to patch
> your
> > implementation because there are 25 objects (not
> including the
> > number boxes), 16 of which correspond to the args of
> [expr] in
> > my implementation.  That's 16 objects for which I
> have to change
> > modes between the mouse (for connections) and the
> keyboard (for
> > text).
>

> if you find it difficult to patch 25 objects, then you
> should get
> yourself accustomed to keyboard short-cuts.
> if you need go to the menu->put->object for each of
> the 25 objects, then
> i understand your concerns. with Ctrl-1 i don't see the

I use keyboard shortcuts but they don't help the problem of
lining up objects with the mouse or with <shift-arrow>, and
of making connections between objects which requires a click in
a very specific place.  Actually I find making 24 connections,
one-at-a-time with the mouse to be the most tedious part of the
whole ordeal.  If I could just imagine the wires into existence
then I might not use [expr] as much as I do.

> > With [expr] I find it conceptually easier (and more
> ergonomic) to
> > set up my [v] objects, my [sel], and my [outlet], then
> code the
> > entire algorithm inside one box.
>
> i hardly ever use [value].
> i think it doesn't integrate so well into the patcher
> paradigm, thus
> making you want to program C-like rather than Pd-like.

That's only true when using it in conjunction with [expr].  At
least the other times I've used it have been basically a
shortcut for:
[s]

[f]