[PD] (GEM) mjpeg decoding performance question

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 21:34:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to find the codec with best performance to use with gem in
Ubuntu.

Up to now the best I've found is MJPEG, but the funny thing is that if I
code the file myself with MJPEG using Avidemux, I get much better
performance than with a file also coded with MJPEG that I was given.

What can it be due to? When I code the file with MJPEG the only
parameter I can change is "quality"

Does it depend entirely on the quality setting, or is it possible that
different implementations of the encoder encode in such a way that it is
then more or less expensive for the decoder to decode?

thanks
m.