[PD] a really fast-to-read codec in linux?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 11:34:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm desperately looking for a codec to code video files with so that
pix_film will be able to read them with the best performance. I don't
care if the compression rate is very low, as long as the quality is good
and reading is fast.

Does anybody know any?

Mjpeg seems to perform quite well, but not well enough. Maybe that's the
best performance I can expect and I have to reduce the video resolution
but I would like to be sure.

H.264 has the problem that has been mentioned due to an issue of gstream
with frame seeking that makes it terribly slow in linux.

I'm trying all the codecs I see listed in avidemux, but there are so
many and with so many configuration settings that I don't quite
understand, and many of them just make Pd crash.

By the way I would also like to know the answer to the same question in
Mac. As far as I have seen, though, video with GEM seems to perform
always much worst in Mac than in Windows and Linux with any codec
(except h264 that has a big issue in linux only) - Mathieu said he
probably knew the cause of this which was not related to codecs.

thanks
m.