[PD] a really fast-to-read codec in linux?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:00:58 CEST 2010

On 09/24/2010 07:34 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>> On 09/24/2010 02:01 PM, Alexandre Castonguay wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Did you try photo jpeg?
>> Isn't it the same as mjpeg?
>
> No, but if you set the full frames ratio to 1:1, it will become almost
> the same (or exactly, I don't know). But the point of mjpeg (Motion
> JPEG) formats is to have a ration of full-frames different from 1:1,
> because all that Motion JPEG can do and Photo JPEG can't do is in the
> non-full frames (i-frames).

(guess you mean p-frames and b-frames here)

I thought that m-jpeg was just jpeg applied to each frame independently
i.e. all frames were I-frames (I had read that in wikipedia).

And I thought that was why, when I click "configure" in Avidemux for the
Mjpeg codec, the only parameter I can change is "quality" and there is
no control of anything related to motion.

So if there actually is inter-frame compression and avidemux doesn't
expose any parameter for it, it means that when I use mjpeg it may
actually be creating p-frames and I have no way of knowing let alone
controlling it, right?

So is there some photo jpeg codec I can get for ubuntu that I could use
in Avidemux? (or in any other similar tool that you may suggest)?

thanks
m.