[PD] a really fast-to-read codec in linux?

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:19:30 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>
>  (guess you mean p-frames and b-frames here)
>>

> You're right. (though I think I saw i-frame somewhere long ago...
> Corresponds to "inter-frame").
>

>  I thought that m-jpeg was just jpeg applied to each frame independently
>> i.e. all frames were I-frames (I had read that in wikipedia).
>>

> You're probably right, but then I wouldn't know what's the difference
> between Photo-JPEG and Motion-JPEG. Can Motion-JPEG-A be decoded with a
> Photo-JPEG decoder ? If that's the case, then Motion-JPEG-A would be just a
> different tuning of a Photo-JPEG encoder. (but Motion-JPEG-B can't be
> decoded the same).
>
> I can't tell much more that isn't just another guess.

http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=12587
or a shorter one:
According to the QuickTime specification, MJPEG A and MJPEG B are both
field-based, i.e. each of the two interlaced fields making up a video signal
is compressed individually, using the JPEG algorithm. The difference between
MJPEG A and MJPEG B is that MJPEG A supports markers in the bitstream
whereas MJPEG B does not. Photo JPEG is frame-based, according to the
QuickTime specification. To make things confusing, you sometimes see MJPEG A
and MJPEG B also allowing frame-based compression. This is the case in Adobe
Premiere for instance. (http://w2.alkit.se/servo/servofiles/)

Andras