[PD] a really fast-to-read codec in linux?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 24 21:25:08 CEST 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> No, not that one (also interesting), I was talking about this one (which
> as far as I understand is unrelated):
>> What I know is that large memory allocation (128k and more) using
>> the malloc() command, uses in turn the mmap() command, in a way
>> that is much, much slower on OSX than on Linux.

It's unrelated in some way, but anything slowing down the CPU can cause
the other one that I just stated (the 91% CPU that becomes 250% or
whatever, in my example). It's just a matter of asking a little too much
from the codec.

It seems that the memory allocation problem is much more of a problem for
GridFlow than for GEM, but I haven't measured.