[PD] GUI speed

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 17:47:37 CEST 2010

Dear List,

I'm trying to investigate why does a larger patch slow down the GUI so much
much. When opened, CPU load goes to 40-50% (when minimized, goes back to
~20%), when i load values from sssad CPU goes up to 60-70% and stays there,
and when i start the metro it goes even higher (not 90 or 100% however) and
virtually unresponsive. Please take a look at the attached image and tell me
if this is normal with a patch of this visual complexity. Make no mistake,
the pd core maintains a decent 3-10% CPU load, its pd-gui which cannot
handle the party.

This is an ongoing problem which prevents me from actually *making music*
with my patch. Tried to add the GOP abstractions to the canvas one by one,
it seems that CPU load goes up by each element, i mean i couldn't find a
"guilty one".

Pd 42.5, Ubuntu Lucid, Compiz (<-- does it matter?)

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Andras