[PD] GUI speed

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 23:18:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>
>>> Is there already some benchmarks of the new puredata gui? Would be nice
>>> to have it.
>>>

>> It's nowhere close to being a rewrite : essentially, all of the code that
>> you would benchmark has almost not changed since Pd 42.
>>

> I mean it hasn't changed much since way before that time : afair, Pd 38 was
> the last time there was a speed improvement, and it was due to the addition
> of sys_queuegui. There were a number of bugfixes and other changes not
> related to speed.
>
> Much of the speed improvement that can be made, can only be made by
> modifying Tk's source code itself (or switching to a different renderer).

...and/or, as far as i understood, reinventing pd in a way that the GUI
doesn't chat with the core about gui elements and their properties, but the
core is limited to audio and other "abstract" calculations and it's the GUI
which takes care of everything that happens on the GUI. I'm not sure if i
understood this right, and i suspect that it's a tremendous work, and i also
suspect that it may involve externals to be rewritten, but i have a feeling
that Tcl/Tk is not that slow by itself but the bottleneck is GUI<->core
communication. C'mon, drawing a number with a big font threatens the CPU? On
the computers we have, in 2010? I can't believe that.

Andras