[PD] [out-of-the-blue] a neat GUI feature?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Sep 29 04:54:13 CEST 2010

I just remembered a feature* one could have in the future (it relates to
various threads and interesting discussions we had here):

- When rolling the mouse over a outlet of an abstraction it could tell what
that was. (useful for those crazy objects with n-th outs)

How could he tell what that outlet carries? This could be a sort of metadata
comment (or other better/clever idea) added to the subpatch/abstraction that
would be parsed and read by the GUI in order to simplify your work. Like
"Metadata/Outlets: sound(mono); data(0.0-1.0); toogle(0-1); on-off(bang);"

Then in our main patch:
__________________
|my_giant_abstraction|
| *_ *_ _ _ ___________|

When rolling through outlet "1" it would say "Sound(mono)"., and so forth

Conversely, one could do the same for inputs/inlets.

Just a though after many hours of pd,
Best regards,
Pedro
* maybe this has been though/brought up here, its worth the try.
p.s.: anyway I'll take note of this, maybe I could try a simple version of
it sometime...

--
Pedro Lopes (ongoing MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt