[PD] [route] object confusion

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 29 16:05:52 CEST 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, András Murányi wrote:

> my error is "$1: argument number out of range" so i'm pretty sure it is
> expecting a float and getting a symbol.

You precisely never get such an error message for such a mistake. If it
says "argument number out of range", it's because the argument number is
out of range. This means that $1 doesn't exist in this context. This means
that the message has only a selector and nothing else, just like the
common messages 'bang', 'close', 'start', 'stop' that are supported by a
certain number of object-classes. You wouldn't be able to write it 'symbol
close' or 'symbol start' instead : it's just not the same thing.