[PD] [out-of-the-blue] a neat GUI feature?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:39:40 CEST 2010

> why complicated metadata if you can already do [inlet~ channel1] and
> [outlet activity] in an abstraction/subpatch? afaik arguments to those
> objects currently are ignored, but i do use them sometimes to make me
> remember their function.

several reasons:

- unless you want a really big box there, you should only use a symbol
(i.e. one word) for the inlets
- to see these symbols (they can't even be considered as comments, it's
not the same), you have to open the abstraction. if you go to open the
abstraction, then it's easier to leave a normal comment there. the purpose
of the idea was to save the work of opening the abstraction. just like you
can always know what number is coming out of any object, just connect it
to a number box; but if you are debugging, you have to be constantly
putting in number boxes and connecting them (and later deleting them)
- you wouldn't be able to see these comments on an external, without the
"metadata"
- if you decide to change the inlet~ "comment" in a patch already
programmed, the connections will break when the object is redrawn. that's
a not very coherent behaviour, but it's there. the metadata would be
somewhere else in the patch.

--
Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)