[PD] unix and (bad) companies.

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Sep 29 21:44:42 CEST 2010

>the achilles heel for linux in my opinion is still video editing.
>I've tried everything from Broadcast2000 to Lives with no luck
>bueller?
I kinda agree. There's still need for a stronger video editor.

<my2cents>
In linux I use cinelerra, although I'm a major critic of its
interface+learning curve (these are strongly binded) and also crashes and
missing features (namely decent export formats,ruler adjusts, and so
forth).

Lives is horrific. kdenlive is a bit like cinelerra although with a nicer
interface, thus lowering learning curve. I should probably start using it
more, since cinelerra is not that good as I want.

</my2cents>

Anyway, that's it video editing software is still a bit behind, but for
instance video/codec converting is light years ahead with great tools such
as mencoder (it does virtually everything).

Best regards,
Pedro

Pedro Lopes (ongoing MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt