[PD] namecanvas obsolete? Why? Re: Dynamic Graph on Parent

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 30 14:13:26 CEST 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> iirc, the reason for obsoleting [namecanvas] is that it allows the
> dynamic patching engine to get into an inconsistent (probably crashing)
> state (true, there are other things that allow this as well, without
> getting obsoleted).

Especially, you can crash pd using the thing that is supposed to be
replacing namecanvas, using a total of 3 objects. So, the reason for
obsoleting [namecanvas] is bogus. Here's an attachment for demonstrating
that.

> anyhow, [namecanvas] has no concept of "this" either.

What's a concept of "this", to you ? It seems that we don't agree on
this... we're not using the same vocabulary.