[PD] [out-of-the-blue] a neat GUI feature?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 30 20:37:17 CEST 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Pedro Lopes wrote:

> About:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1056914&group_id=55736&atid=478072
>
> I did not get exactly what this feature was about, I read the comments
> and overall description, but something slipped, could you enlighten?

It's the same feature that you ask for, basically.

"tooltips" is the name for transient text that appears over a GUI to help
the user (as a reminder, for example). It usually is triggered by
mouse-over.

The original tooltip patches for pd were writing directly over the patch
and make the text follow the mouse.

My version of it makes the text more visually stable (only is positioned
once per appearance of the text) and puts it on an opaque beige rectangle
such as how normal tooltips work in other apps. I also made another
version of it for "find last error" with a red bg, which I mention only
because that's the only related screenshot I can find right now :

   http://artengine.ca/desiredata/gallery/find_last_error.png

Well, actually, there was also a name-completion tooltip for a while,
before it was turned into another widget, and that was sharing some code
with my inlet tooltip code :

   http://artengine.ca/desiredata/gallery/completions2.gif