[PD] GEM: borderless window is also always on top (and hasn't an icon)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 3 17:32:06 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> In ubuntu, if I send "border 0" to [gemwin], then the window (once
> created), besides being borderless which is the expected part, also
> sticks on top and doesn't have a button in the panel on the bottom of
> the screen as windows usually have.

GridFlow has a "border 0" like you want. You send it just after the window
creation :

   [#out x11, border 0]
or
   [#out, open x11, border 0]

(commas inside GF objectboxes are like loadbanged messageboxes)

Then you can move that window using Alt+leftdrag, get its border-menu with
Alt+space, and see it in taskbars, taskbuttons, and Alt+tab.

But also, GridFlow supports other kind of borderless window (unmanaged
windows that aren't listed anywhere and can only be moved by pd messages).
These are made by:

   [#out x11 here override_redirect]

For OSX, there's also a "border 0" option in [#out quartz], thanks to
Patrick Boivin, but it works a bit differently, by necessity. But on OSX,
it's not so hard to use [#out x11] too, with the full option set.