[PD] GUI speed

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 3 18:52:34 CEST 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, João Pais wrote:

>> p.s.: interesting exercise for those that wanna see how much time your
>> cpu wastes with gui in pd is running a patch without gui.  I had a
>> project that used my DTW in pd and a long patch (for my standards) and
>> when we ran it for the first time without gui... wow. Somethings went
>> faster than expected and some didn't work because it was all too fast
>> :) A bit of cleaning solved it, but its an interesting test for
>> non-visual patches.
>
> if you know a good way to measure this (cputime or whatever), a nice thing
> could be an abstraction that makes a test and outputs the results.

It can't be done without modifying Tk. But if I do modify Tk in a way that
puts the results in variables, then I can pick up the results in Tcl and
send them back to Pd, so that, in addition to [cputime] which measures
only server time, you'd have a few more measurements, such as total time
spent in Tcl/Tk, total time spent in the Tk part, total time spend in the
rendering part of the Tk part, total time spent parsing, etc.