[PD] pdpcap 0.0.4 network sniffer new version

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Oct 3 23:18:07 CEST 2010

Yeah, instead of making one big mega object that takes lots of
messages, there could instead be a suite of objects like one for live
capture, one for reading/writing files, one for translating port
numbers to services, whatever is appropriate.

.hc

On Oct 1, 2010, at 7:57 PM, Jordi Sala wrote:

> Hans, so your proposal is to split the current pdpcap in 2 different
> objects: one for live (net device) capturing and a second one for
> pcap file reading?
>
> I like Mathieu's suggested name:1) the Mathieu's reasoning about
> naming,  2)the objects I think is differentiated of pdp, 3)doesn't
> lost enterely his original name pd-pcap,
>
> On 1 October 2010 14:20, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Jordi Sala wrote:
>
> Yes it can be renamed, I named pdpcap when I started the object (PD
> +PCAPlib)...,... pcap could be a good name....any suggestions?
>
> name the package "pd-pcap" and the pd library file "pcap.pd_linux"
> for example.
>
> Several programming languages use such naming... the hyphen makes it
> like a namespace in the package-manager, and the complete lack of
> the "pd-" prefix in the context of pd makes it look like you're
> a lot more sense if that's exactly what your lib does : a plain
> wrapper and nothing else). I think that this is the kind of naming
> that users of several other programming languages have come to
> expect (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby, PHP, etc.)

> | Mathieu Bouchard ------------------------------ Villeray,
> Montréal, QC
>

> --
> Jordi Sala
> http://musa.poperbu.net

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson