[PD] Loop point : a way to make it smooth?

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Mon Oct 11 21:28:45 CEST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PD] Loop point : a way to make it smooth?
From: Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>
To: Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com>
CC: pd-list at iem.at
Date: 10/10/2010 09:48 PM
> Ah yes, I see the constraint,
> well, what kind of source material is it?
>
> There's the zigzag (forward and back) method that
> always seems to work well with textures and pad
> like sounds. Have you tried that?
>
> Andy
>
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:32:21 +0200
> Pierre Massat<pimassat at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I think i know what you mean. The problem here is that it has to be live
>> somehow. I don't how they do it in live loopers like the ones some singers
>> use on stage.
>> Thanks for your reply anway!
>>
>> 2010/10/10 Andy Farnell<padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>
>>

>>> There's a simple way to put this.
>>>
>>> There is an art to looping.

Some hints which can be useful both with the source material and the
looping algorithm (but as Andy says much depends on the source):
- zeros: the start and end of the loop should ideally be a zero (or be
exactly the same number). Some sound editors (like mhwaveedit on linux)
will find zero-crossings for you. Another way to go might be
"cross-fade" at the start and end of the loop: that is have a small
fade-in at the beginning and a short fade out at the end, but results
vary a lot.
- Finding the right "period" for the loop, on some sounds you'll want
something very short on some pretty long
- Avoid looping "attacks" part, for example of a piano sample avoid all
the part at the beginning and loop only when the sound "stabilises"

Lorenzo