[PD] [out-of-the-blue] a neat GUI feature?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 12 15:08:55 CEST 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> There are things in Pd-extended which I did not want to be there, I
> believe compromise is good sometimes.

Everybody does. Most of the time, when you or someone else complains about
some weird hack in GridFlow, I've already gone through that process and
got over it. The fact is that it's pointless to insist in my head that I
wanted something that I can't get. I want compromise. Some pieces of code
that I write embody those compromises. But I often don't bother to call
them as such.

(It shouldn't take a philosophy course to get past the «I want what I
don't want» paradox...)

> Pd-extended is GPL and can therefore incorporate code from DesireData.
> Pd-vanilla is BSD and my modifications to pd itself are also BSD.  I
> don't want to maintain GPL modifications to pd core.  Someone else
> could.

But who are the other maintainers of Pd extended ? Ah ok, thought so. You
mean that if I forked pd-extended I could get GPL code into it ? Ok, but I
can do that with pd-vanilla too.

Besides, DesireData isn't wholly GPL'ed : the C++ code is actually all
BSD, since the beginning, and that's a large portion of the code.

> These are both incorrect.

For things that are supposedly incorrect, you seem to be curiously
confirming what I've been saying.