[PD] PD panner

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Oct 13 08:39:32 CEST 2010

Hi Pat,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 06:32:39PM -0400, Pagano, Patrick wrote:
> I was wondering if someone has a multi channel sound panner that I can test
> with pd. I want to have 4 separate sounds [MONO] be panned to differing
> channels in pd from channel 1->2 2->3 3->1 etc on a simple envelope line.

Attached is a little abstraction that I sometimes use to simply pan over
multiple speakers. It's an extension to the usual cosine-based
panning for stereo, but made for more than two speakers. Sorry for the help
file that's not up to my usual standards. :)

Anyway the [cospan] object has to be created with two arguments: The second one
gives the number of panning steps or segments (i.e. the total number of
speakers minus 1), the first one indexes the speaker.

So for four speakers, create these objects:

[cospan 0 3]
[cospan 1 3]
[cospan 2 3]
[cospan 3 3]

then send the position as a number between 0 and 360. You can also change the
width or spikiness by sending to the global receiver [s COSPAN-WIDTH]. Its
value is used a a [pow] exponent. The output of [cospan] at the first outlet is
between 0 and 1. The second outlet generates messages suitable for [mtx_mul~].

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__