[PD] PS3 eye, Pix_video, low latency

Jean-Marie Adrien jma at jeanmarie-adrien.net
Thu Oct 14 10:09:38 CEST 2010

Hi chris
Im glad you jumped in. Concerning the topic would the following
theory make sense ?

it seems that video capture and video tracking do not adress the same
purposes :

- video capture allows 10 frames of latency to ensure that frame
transfer is correct to the machine for later uses (post production,
montage). This is the major usage now of video, because of DV
camescopes and so on.

- whereas video tracking requires 1 frame of latency maximum, to
produce real time responses. This is a emergent need, that seems to
be covered by other softwares.

Im trying to crawl to the second point.
For instance, in pidip, it seems that there is a IE1394 object that
processes DV type signals with a long latency, like pix_video does in
GEM, and there is another object pdp_DC1394, that would be quicker,
and could thus interface DC uncompressed industrial cameras without
sticking them into the DVlike process, on Linux at least.

Does this make sense ?
Any DC pix_video object in GEM on MAC with 1 frame of latency ?
DC1394 available on MAC or only on LINUX ?

sorry for the verbose
cheers
JMA