[PD] overdriven speaker

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Sat Oct 16 06:46:56 CEST 2010

Hi!

I'm no speaker modeling expert at all, but I can try to describe what
produces sounds in an overloaded speaker. There are various sources of
distortion, symmetrical (mechanic suspension) and asymmetrical (magnetic
field) and also time variant (temperature) and modulation (doppler
effect / amplitude modulation) effects. I don't know which effects have
a stronger or weaker influence, but I describe what I imagine:

High peak amplitude, positive wave:

speaker moves to the front, parts of the coil will not be in the
magnetic field anymore. The field isn't zero outside the magnet gap, but
I guess it decreases rapidly and is almost zero (so for example if half
the coil is inside the magnet, the parts outside will not produce a
force. So the force is only half as strong as it should. For simplicity
you could say the field outside the magnet's gap is zero, so you have a
linear function of excitation / current. Also If the coil moves out of
the field its impedance will decrease which has influence on frequency
response for higher frequencies a bit.

Heat

If the impedance is reduced as described above, a higher current will
flow and heat the coil more than usual. The resistance of the coil will
increase when it gets warmed and thus the efficiency of the speaker
decreases (up to -7 dB I read somewhere, but this wasn't meant for
almost dead speakers but heavy load). The heat needs some time to
dissipate, so some kind of slow pumping compression effect occurs.

High amplitude, negative wave:

The speaker's coil might crash into the magnet and create different
mechanical noises. Also the speakers diaphragm will be deformed by this
crash and create various kinds of noise. Additionally it carries the
noises the coil created - depending on the material and shape this sound
different (paper, Kevlar, aluminum, etc sound different). If this crash
doesn't occur (professional speakers don't have this issue usually) the
negative wave will not be distorted too much and maybe distortion can be
ignored.

In both directions the spider (basically a spring) starts to become
nonlinear. Different manufacturers have different curves, but for small
amplitudes they all pretend to be linear - so some experiments with sin~
or tanh~ might do it here.

Then generally there are happening doppler-effects on all speakers with
big excursion. You could model them through a variable delay, modulated
by a differentiated, low pass filtered signal (don't bite if I'm wrong,
it's already very late... ). Amplitude modulation can be applied the
same way (lowpass and apply it to higher frequencies).

so to sum it up:

apply symmetric distortion for the spider, split the path into positive
and negative parts, for positive samples: tanh~, polynomials or other
wave shapers, for negative parts let the signal untouched or add noises
of a crashing coil (don't know how to achieve this), then sum both
signals up, apply doppler effect, amplitude modulation and pumping
compression. perhaps that sounds like your speakers then :)

I'm not sure if this works at all, but it definitely will sound very
distorted in the end.

did you already discover http://www.klippel.de/pubs/papers.asp ?

cheers
Martin