[PD] overdriven speaker

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Oct 20 01:04:39 CEST 2010

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Martin Schied wrote:

> using the first deviation as modulation should be more physically
> correct but sounded very tinny and thin.

how do you compute that ?... how is the pressure wave supposed to relate
to the digital wave ? I don't expect it to be a 1:1 mapping... my
mechanics is a bit rusty. If [osc~ 1000] direct to [dac~] comes out as a
±1V peak potential, then what is [osc~ 2000] coming out as, and then how
do you convert that to intensity (ampère) and power (watt), and then the
kinetic energy it produces corresponds to which speed and ± peak
distance ? (i remember that there's ½mv² somewhere in there... and there's
réactance and impédance...)

> Using direct signal for modulation like Mathieu used works very well and
> sounds more pleasant...

because I can't pretend to remember my grade 12 mechanics and grade 13
electricity so well, I concentrated on the æsthetics of it, but I'd be
very curious about the physics of it. So, if you (or Martin Peach or
other) can teach me a paragraph or two about this, I would be grateful.

> Interesting. I didn't expect it that way :)

me neither, really. ;)