[PD] line: grain rate and delta

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 21 17:24:18 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 03:30 PM, tim vets wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a bit confused about the grain rate of [line]
> the help says that 'the default grain rate is 20 ms'
> however, when I connect a [delta] to a [line], it shows zero's,
> while inserting a [speedlim 20] changes that.
> also some other tests in attached patch.
> can someone explain ?

as matju already stated, [delta] is something, a lot of people
(including me) do not know.

assuming it is the same as:

[t b b]
|     |
[timer]

then it "looks" like you get "0", whereas in reality you get:
[20, 0( [*]

the "20" shows up so incredibly short (and is then overwritten by "0",
that you simply cannot see it.
[print] usually allows you to track such things, as you not only see the
last value, but the entire history.

[*] why?
when [line] receives a new target, it will immediately send out the
start value, and then (in grain-time ms) the next value until it reaches
the target value.
in your case this translates to:
- you generate the first number ("7") and send [7 20( to [line]
- line will immediately output the current value ("0") and after 20ms it
will output the next value ("7")
- at the "same" time, you generate a new value ("9"), and send this to
[line], which will immediately output the current value ("7").

since both the start value and the target value are output at the same
logical time, [timer] caluculates a time-difference of "0", which will
be visible for the next 20ms.

gmadr
IOhannes