[PD] organizing waveshapers

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Oct 25 23:56:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> zero-crossing detection is the basis of cheap pitch detection,

Yeah, but cheap like that is not worth buying into.

> and it also useful for automatically find cut points in samples so that
> there aren't clicks.

Right... instead, the worst it can get is a click-like artefact of a
different order, which is very much quieter, without any bass in it, and
usually not very noticeable (but there are exceptions). It's that the
waveforms have non-matching angles at the junctions. This is the kind of
problem there is with stretching high frequency signals using [tabread4~],
for example, whereas [tabread4c~] is fine.

In math words we'd say « zero-crossing splicing produces a C0 curve, but
doesn't try to produce a C1 curve, and almost never does ».